Monday, November 22, 2010

Fancy Picture Box

This summer, facing personal fiscal crisis and thinking myself culturally superior, I cancelled my cable subscription.  I was sick of paying $100 a month for something I barely used.  The way I figured, I could use the $60 of that that was for the TV on something else and fill my time easily with books (hello library!), the New Yorker (each article easily takes a whole night to read), and most importantly Hulu and Netflix On Demand (so I could watch my select shows and movies). And when my Rafa was top-spinning his way to 3 major titles I relied on the the good graces of friends and local drinking establishments.  All of that entertainment and I could still take the cultural high road and respond "oh, I don't have TV" when someone would ask me if I had seen Dancing With the Stars.

The problem was - I am not nearly as sophisticated as I thought.  I missed the TV real bad.  I lived in denial abou this for several months but what finally spurred me to action was Sunday mornings.  I REALLY missed Sunday morning talk shows.  The main drawback of online TV viewing is that you can't watch anything live or current.

So, last weekend I went to Best Buy determined to remedy the situation.  I asked one of the helpful clerks what I could get to "make the pictures come on" without cable and he pointed me to some old-school rabbit ears.  I was THRILLED.  Sunday morning TV for a one-time $11 purchase?!  I got home and followed the instructions (very short - old school technology is so user friendly) and hooked those little guys up.  NADA.  I stuck the antenna out the window and the best I could do was fuzzy Home Shopping Network and spanish cartoons.

I was crestfallen.  Defeated and downtrodden, I got my phone and called those monopolistic bastards at KableTown and made an appointment to return the pictures to my life.  The experiment is over and I am once again part of mainstream, tv viewing America.  A car AND cable - it's like a whole new me!

Super pumped for Millionaire Matchmaker tonight!!

2 comments:

Shea said...

I too tried to defeat the cable companies once. I also failed.

Its JoniB said...

Kable Town...love it. your a beautiful writer