Wednesday, November 19, 2008

White Zin

White Zin is underappreciated and ridiculed by most wine drinkers (at least those under the age of 80 and living outside the confines of a trailer park...though there is nothing wrong with being old or living in a trailer). But I think we can all remember a time when White Zin in all of its rosy glory has brought us happiness, comfort, and good times. Its sort of like Green Eggs in Ham: "I will drink it from a box, I will drink it from a jug".

My most memorable experience with White Zin came by chance when I was seated next to a soon to be friend on a flight to vegas. Dreading both the flight and my final destination, I ordered up a drink just as soon as was permissible. Finding there was no Chardonnay or other white wine, my seat mate and I hardly hesitated before ordering up a little bottle of the pink stuff. We, in fact, kept ordering them until there were no more little bottles of the pink stuff on the plane. And that kids, is how a friendship was formed.

I was reminded of this while at dinner last night at a cozy Italian BYOB. Well it was cozy until the entire Penn basketball team rolled in, each with a date carrying card board boxes filled with wine. Not your average liter bottles either. Giant jugs of White Zin placed at the ends of each table. It was going to be a good night for them. My initial warmness toward them faded though when they started chanting each players name (remember, cozy Italian restaurant). Much like at the premiere of Mean Girls I was forced to intervene, tapping the young gentleman behind me on the shoulder and saying "dude, everyone knows his name is Larry now. shhhhhhhh". real cool.

6 comments:

laura said...

i am glad you brought up the topic of wine on tap. i was just thinking the other day that i might buy some. kind of like shopping in your closet...just try on that old item and see what happens with the right accessories. i think i am ready to try on the box o' wine; although, i thought the wine cube might be more sophisticated and "grown-up." what do you think?

Carly said...

what is a wine cube?? does it come filled with White Zin? If so, do it up!

nicegirlfromthemidwest said...

Car, my last memories of white zin involve duct tape and group bathroom breaks (oh, sorority life), so I think it will be a bit longer before I can go back to it.

kjd said...

You just reminded me of how many BYOB's there are in Philly. I miss them, and the discount drinking that they offer.

laura said...

http://sites.target.com/site/en/supertarget/page.jsp?title=brands&brand=wineCube

i can't believe you were not aware of the cube!

I love the idea of BYOB spot, I was introduced to them recently on my trip to chicago... I wonder if Denver has any?

Carly said...

colleen, i will confess that a shudder ran down my spine when i saw the jug. the headache that would induce for me now totally outweighs any nostalgia trip.