Monday, January 19, 2009

The Wrestler


I know a lot of people turn to this site for insightful film reviews and reliable recommendations. Knowing the tremendous responsibility I bear, I want to talk to you about "The Wrestler". Despite Marissa Tomei's appearance as a stripper with a heart of gold, this movie isn't the heart-warming picture I was hoping for. (I have had to make compromises in my film selections lately...what with the Oscars coming up it is very difficult for the good movies to get screen time. I look forward to this drought ending 2/6/09 ).

Last week, by chance, I was awake to catch the Late Show with Jay Leno. Jay's guest that night was a dried-up, hopeless, and frankly a little bit creepy Mickey Rourke. Ostensibly, Mr. Rourke was there to plug his film but his years in therapy would not allow the conversation to proceed so smoothly. I mean this guy has had it ROUGH. He has been out of work as an actor and unable to find work in any field including construction (see, the recession really is affecting everyone). He tells Jay that a good therapist and a priest have helped him through these times. Given this lead in it really is no one's fault but my own that I sat through 2 hours of depression, heartbreak, and hopelessness.

Now this review is not a critique on Rourke's performance, because I don't think there is anyone who knows down and out better than that guy. But it was too sad and there was too much wrestling.


2 stars out of 5.
This film contains nudity, language, gratuitous gore involving a staple gun, and nothing even resembling a happy ending.

5 comments:

Sean said...

I realize you are a big movie enthusiast and probably have already seen this, but I saw Slumdog Millionaire this past weekend. It was incredible. By far, the best movie I have seen in a long time. Sans maybe Role Models and Tropic Thunder and any other completely over-the-top comedy. But seriously, Slumdog Millionaire was amazing.

Carly said...

Better than G?

Sean said...

G is in a class by itself. Have you had the pleasure of seeing it yet?

Ross Gibson said...

I get what you're saying...just like how there was way too much sex in "Sex in the City" I wish these movie studios would spend some time clarifying the titles so viewers knew what they were getting into!

Carly said...

yes, ross. I find the studios to be quite deceptive in their marketing.