Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The 600 lb Vegetarian in the Room

I have successfully completed week 1 of my vegetarianism and I have survived, although not without consequences. The word vegetarian suggests the consumption of lots and lots of vegetables...well it has been my brief experience that being a vegetarian also includes the consumption of a lot of cheese, butter, and bread. The photo above is my dinner last night (recipe from SmittenKitchen), a sweet potato and chard gratin. It was delicious and dare I say better than bacon. Unfortunately, the dish would be more aptly named milk, butter and cheese, tossed with sweet potatoes and chard.

I do feel good that I haven't contributed to the death of any cute creatures this week I just hope those little critters know the price I am paying for their lives. I hope they will still love and support me when I don a sports bra and spandex for my bid on the Biggest Loser.

4 comments:

nicegirlfromthemidwest said...

I can't wait until you discover the joys of seitan.

Carly said...

I had seitan once from the salad bar at whole foods. I spit it out onto the floor and cursed whoever had made it look so appealing at the salad bar.

kelly's dad said...

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving Carly. We'll save you some turkey and ham in a freezer bag so when you come to your senses you can enjoy it. Remember Bacon is an Herb.

Seth W. said...

I have a friend at work that's a vegetarian, except he eats tons of cheeze pizza & Mtn Dew. I honestly don't think I've ever seen him eat an honest to goodness vegetable. I call him a junkfood vegetarian. Probably not the best diet...