Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Carly Pumpkin Christmas

As always, Thanksgiving was followed this year by a day of Candy House making. After last year's syscrapers of conspicuous consumption, we returned this year to simpler themes and more modest construction. Alex and I crafted a truly a classic red and green themed home with nod to Hanukkah ( a blue and white sky light).

We assembled the masterpiece in record time through careful planning, strategy, and cooperative execution. Really though, the house speaks for itself.

I have also gotten a headstart on this year's Christmas shopping. I will be heading to Costa Rica the day after Christmas this year and plan to arrive with a bag full of presents for Baby Annie. So far she is getting books. A few books I loved: Shel Silverstein, Where the Wild Things Are, and a new sure-to-be- classic, Nubs.

I heard about Nubs a few weeks ago on the Today show and started crying into my oatmeal at the heartwarming story of friendship, determination, and loyalty. It is based on the true story of a Marine and a dog he befriended while on duty in Iraq. The marine and the dog, Nubs, formed a special friendship during his stay in Iraq and when the Marine got reassigned to the Jordani border, little Nubs followed the trail of the convoy some 70 miles and 3 days to be reunited with his soldier buddy. Crying a little bit as I type that.

Despite Annie confessing a desire to make "dog soup" she really does love animals, especially canines, and I think she will really like this book!!

5 comments:

Ross Gibson said...

Great story, but did you eat meat over the Thanksgiving weekend?

Carly said...

Look at that smile on my face...does that look like someone who ate meat?? No, I did not.

Ross Gibson said...

With this dedication, you should really think about becoming a vegan or one of those "raw" freaks.

Kelly's dad said...

Hey I have heard of another great children's book about a dog. It is called Foxy's Tale - The True Story of a Champion Alaskan Sled Dog.

Unknown said...

Wait, I'm sorry...were the bookstores all sold of of Foxy's Tale, The True Story of a Champion Alaskan Sled Dog? Kitten, how do you expect Ed to pay for my wedding?