Wednesday, December 9, 2009

1 and 1





















Last weekend was one of cinematic discovery for me, filled with highs and lows. Friday night I saw the much anticipated (by me) Sandra Bullock movie: The Blind Side. Now, I knew very little about the premise of this movie going into it, but I knew all I needed to. I, for example, knew that I cried tears of joy during the trailer for it (always a promising sign). My desire to see it was further strengthened after reading this from my old buddy A.O Scott at the NYTimes: " a movie made up almost entirely of turning points and yet curiously devoid of drama or suspense...(the film) plays this story straight down the middle, shedding nuance and complication in favor of maximum uplift." Ummm...Sold! Say no more. If I could only use one word to describe this precious little gem of a movie it would be: amazing (speaking of Precious...this movie almost erased any remaining horror and misery I had from see THAT movie). Sandra Bullock gave a spot-on performance as a wealthy, southern lady (a character I know a little something about. Hi Nashville friends!!!!) Combine her sassy ways with a heartwarming underdog story and you have the sleeper hit of the holiday season and my new favorite NFL Team: So long Eagles helllllllllloooo Ravens. Bravo!!!!

This, though, was just the beginning of my weekend o' movies. Fast forward to Sunday and I had plans to see the George Clooney pic: Up In the Air. This movie was playing at the Ritz which makes me hesitant from the get go...but I love me some Clooney. Further adding to my hesitation was the glowing review from Manohla Dargis who by most accounts appears to hate going to the movies. This hater of the rom-com and I do not tend to see eye to eye on what makes a great movie but I carried on with my plans knowing at least that there would be a yummy dinner waiting for me after the movie. Well, there I am in the theatre, freezing, but reeeally enjoying this movie. But something was afoot. I had an uneasy feeling throughout all of Clooney's high-flying adventures. Something told me that this movie was too pleasant and fun to watch for that snob Dargis to enjoy. And then....I understood. I don't want to spoil it for anyone but I wished I had just gone to see the Blind Side again. I just don't understand why Clooney is capable of Ocean's 11 and One Fine Day but continues to make drivel like this.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry I didn't get to your sooner. My phone was dead in theater, otherwise I would have texted you in the middle to warn.

khaye said...

I'd like to watch that movie... It's kinda beautiful...