Friday, August 22, 2008

J-Roll


Last night my roommate and I partook in our nation's pastime and went to the Phillies game. It was the perfect night for a game: great weather, great seats, good weiners, and beer (coke for the roommate).

As you may or may not know, the Phillies' star player has been receiving a little heat lately for calling Philly fans "front-runners" meaning, when the team is doing well we are all about it, however, if they stumble the team does not get additional support from the crowd to encourage them, but rather merciless boos and yell from the stands. As my roommate says, those players are there to do a job and need to know when they are not doing it well. I, for one, think I would really respond well to a boss who simply booed me when my work was not the quality it needed to be!

So, in true Philly fashion, the fans did not disappoint last night. Rather than trying to prove J-Roll wrong they acted to exceed his expectations of their "front-runnerness". Every time he was up to bat the entire crowd booed in resounding unison. I said to my roommate "aw, I wish I could give Jimmy Rollins a hug" To which he responded "I wish I could kick him in the dick".

No comments: