Monday, April 20, 2009

April Showers Bring May Flowers


Debris and Despair








This past weekend in Philadelphia was the epitome of spring. The thermometer hit 70 degrees and all activities were moved outdoors. Drinking, eating, exercising, and just sitting are all more enjoyable when done outside on the first REAL spring day of the year. I myself had 2 dinners and slightly more than 2 glasses of wine outside.

It was not all play though. I took advantage of the warm weather to take on some serious spring cleaning. I moved into my current apartment because it was close to work, allowed dogs (more on that soon hopefully), and had access to a private patio. Well, apparently the prior tenants did not place as a high a value on outdoor space as I do....this thing was a dump. A hot mess under all sorts of debris and overgrowth of plants and leaves. I, though, was fearless in the face of such a challenge. With a rake, some work gloves, hours of HGTV in my memory, and a triumphant spirit I tackled that outdoor monstrosity head on. I cleared, I swept, I shoveled, I planted. I toiled for hours and ended the day feeling exhausted and satisfied. Even today's shift in weather from spring back to soggy cold was not enough to dampen my spirit. I comforted myself knowing that those new little plants of mine would be happy for the drink!

It still needs a little in the way of greenery but I think I am well on my way to refined outdoor city living!

AFTER
PS I would welcome suggestions of plants that can grow without a ton of light!

5 comments:

nicegirlfromthemidwest said...

Impatiens grow well in the shade. For a super classy look, plant some in a bucket turned on its side so that it looks like it's positively overflowing with flowery goodness!

Amanda A Wentworth - yoga therapist (C-IAYT, E-RYT 500, RCYT) said...

impatiens, begonias, ferns, columbine, astilbe (sometimes called goats beard), sweet woodruff, oregano, and parsley (perhaps). just a few suggestions from some tennesse ladies with green thumbs.

Carly said...

Thanks for the great suggestions!! I saw the goat's beard in my google search for "shade plants". I shall investigate further!!

Unknown said...

you should gorw some hastas. they don't need a lot of light but look very filling.

Unknown said...

i'll even give you some from our yard