Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Summer Summer Summer Time

Check out all that nature growing!!

The past few days in Philadelphia have been less about crisp spring days familiar to late april and more about the mid-90s blazing sunshine of late July. Whatever, I will take hot and sunny over cold and grey any day. The onset of this weather meant a return to doing everything outside. Trading in the gym for my bike and the sofa for my garden.

This weekend I took my bike out for its inaugural spin of the season (and survived...panting and sore...but I survived) and toiled like a little bee in my garden. The transformation of urban dump into urban oasis does not come easily. While in the country this weekend I stopped by the garden store and stocked up on all kinds of plants (well really only the kinds that grow in the shade). I then spent most of Sunday toiling in the earth. I was sweating and covered in dirt but was unflinching in my committment to bring the change we need to my little patio. After all the plants were in the ground I grabbed my LL Bean canvas, marched down to Whole Foods, and with the air of smug superiority befitting someone who spent all day greening her home with the the dirty skin to prove it, shopped for some food for dinner. The evening wrapped up with friends, fish on the grill, and some chilled rose! not bad.

No comments: