Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Keep on Keepin On


It took the first 25 years of my life before I could write this statement honestly: I like running. This was not always the case, in fact wasn't even close to the case for most of my life. But as I have mentioned on this blog before, I really kind of dig it now. Gets me outside, gets me moving, gets the good ju ju flowing. This, however, does NOT apply to running on a treadmill....or so I thought until recently.

My natural gait tends to be somewhat jerky and more than just a little duck-footed. Not exactly a stride well-suited to the NARROW confines and steady speed of a treadmill. But lately I have been giving that long-overlooked machine at the gym a chance. And I kind of like it! I have to listen to my ipod to combat the boredom (i am earbud free when I run outside). I also have to stay focused on looking straight ahead. My natural tendency to try and peep everything that is going on at the gym leaves me feeling nauseous and dangerously close to tripping when I am on the treadmill. But the ability to just run for 30 minutes with no stoplights or exhaust fumes offers its own special charm.

Overall the treadmill gets 3 out of 5 stars!!

1 comment:

Sean said...

I find running highly addictive. I used to hate running as well, but now I can't go more than a couple days without a run. I have tried to mix in biking and swimming, but there is no better adrenaline kick than a run. Some might say running is as rewarding as blogging???

P.S. I find a mix of the treadmill and outside is best.