Monday, August 10, 2009

With Love, Philadelphia

Philadelphia has many well-known attractions: the liberty bell, the Art Museum, Independence Hall, and of course the Rocky Statue. People in search of a history filled getaway often travel to the City of Brotherly Love to experience first hand the place where the Constitution was signed (and to see how freakishly small James Madison was).

Unfortunately though, the history and wonder of Philadelphia are often overshadowed by its rather grim current situation. Like this...and the nicknames "Killadelphia" and "Philthadelphia" have done little to encourage people to pick my town as their vacation destination.

Well, the folks at gophila.com have had ENOUGH! They have launched a rather clever campaign to lure tourists to the city. Touting attractions such as out BYOBs, our World Champion Phillies, and our friendly gays. The campaign includes billboards and TV ads that are seriously funny and catchy. Now here's the problem: THEY ARE IN PHILADELPHIA!! I, a resident of Philadelphia, do not really need much in the way of persuading to take advantage of what my city has to offer. I am no marketing expert but it seems to me that the placement of these ads might be more effective if located in places that ARE NOT Philadelphia.

So as a courtesy to gophila.com and as a declaration of pride in my city I am sharing these efforts with you via the border crossing world wide webs!!

Come visit!!!

6 comments:

nicegirlfromthemidwest said...

You had me at BYOB.

Caroline - Philly Tourism said...

Carly- thank you for shouting out the "With Love, Philadelphia XOXO" message across the WWW! We love it.

In fact, our in-region advertising has been galvanizing people to do just this: share the message about Philadelphia to friends and family everywhere.

And never fear: our ads are elsewhere, in other cities where our visitors live.

Thanks again.
Caroline (at GPTMC, or gophila.com)

Anonymous said...

I'll visit if you come out in Oct and visit me (and Kelly and Mark)!

Carly said...

Dear Anonymous, you are soooo mysterious with your no-name posts. I am working on the october trip...trust me!!! I would say we are looking like 80% at this point. It will be 100% if the $330 million powerball comes my way!

Anonymous said...

What can I say I like to keep you guessing as to who I am! Don't worry I totally bought a ticket last night for the $124 million. When I win I will purchase you a first class ticket!

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.