Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Baseball and such


Driving into work this morning my friends on NPR told me that it looks like the Phillies might make it to the world series! I have to say this kind of snuck up on me! What with the global financial crisis and my not liking baseball that much I hadn't realized that Philadelphia (with its history of crushing sports defeats) was about to get another shot at glory.

As anyone in Philadelphia knows, the city is championship-starved. We have professional teams in all the major sports and not a single championship in ANY of them in over 20 years (I realize the Philadelphia Soul just won, but I am leaving them out of this...at least until Bon Jovi follows through on that free concert promise). The last time the Phillies even had a shot at the title, I was still wearing head gear to bed at night (i.e. the good old days).

I am really excited for the Phillies and for Philadelphia. When I was maybe 3 or 4 I remember I had a Philly Phanatic birthday cake... so I can say with confidence that, although my dedication may have waned recently, I am a longtime Phan!

8 comments:

Ross Gibson said...

I think someone mentioned you wearing headgear at a recent impromptu sleepover?

Carly said...

While I am a retainer zealot, I have not had head gear in over a decade. I want to put an end to these mailicious rumors now.

Ross Gibson said...

Retainer, schmatainer -- you wear headgear.

Unknown said...

Out of superstition I have not watched the games. I am an eternal source of bad luck. But I am also cheering the home team on silently, retainer and all.

Sean said...

I can't believe you wrote about the Phils winning. Haven't you heard of the "blog jinx"???

Carly said...

Sean, Firstly, thank you for the post. Secondly, did you not read the part about "I hope this post doesn't jinx them". It's cool, I've taken care of it.

Sean said...

First, that was my first ever blog posting. I'm not going to lie it was pretty sweet.
Secondly, saying "you hope this post doesn't jinx them" doesn't prelude anyone from the "sports blog jinx." Although it looks like crisis averted since the Phils adavnced to the World Series last night.

Carly said...

The argument could be made that my blog was their luck charm last night.