Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Happiness Lecture


My artistic tastes tend toward Julia Roberts movies and films about troubled urban youth saved by dance or a tough talking coach. Pretty much anything with an impromptu song and dance routine will guarantee a five star review from me. I am, however, willing to suspend my preferences and broaden my horizons on occasion. I have been to several modern dance performances thanks to one talented and artistically inclined performer friend of mine. I love going to see her dance but I can't say I always (or ever) understand what is going on on stage. You see, Julia Roberts is usually straight forward with her performances, no tricks! And I know those kids will come around with a little discipline and the right motivation (cue the hip-hop dance scene).
Last night I went to see a performance art piece (not to be confused with a play) called The Happiness Lecture. Ostensibly the piece was about, actually I have no idea what it was about (sneaky artist types). Overall, the show was funny and entertaining. Apparently, performance art relies heavily on dream sequences but people scurrying about on stage in bags though...I just don't really get it. I enjoyed last night's performance and think I managed the appropriate responses at the right times (unlike my family and I bursting out in laughter when they brought a dog on stage in one of the dance performances...apparently not meant as comedy). But the scenes with sword fighters and the band of black-bagged trolls running around was over my head.

The parts I understood though were terrific. AND there was a photographer at the reception afterwards (it was opening night..that's how I roll), although she did not ask to take my picture (weird) I do think I was able to get my shoulder into one of the shots. So look for me (my shoulder) in the society pages this weekend!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

when cataloging your intellectual growth during college, it is important to remember that along with several modern dance performances you also went to see some speakers (though i think most of them were past real world members)