Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Carly Couch Philadelphia


This weekend was full of friends, food, wine, history, fun, and gem-colored coats. By Sunday, though, I was pretty much useless. Confronted with a day on the couch and a stubborn state of conciousness, I had to do some serious entertainment planning. After scanning the 100 channels I receive and coming up empty handed, I turned to trusty On Demand. Oddly, this service was populated with films I had never heard of or with unappealing titles (and I just watched Baby Mama last week...wonderful). I was tempted by Meryl Streep and pretty shots of Greece but didn't think my head was quite ready for 2 hours of Abba hits, so Mama Mia! was ruled out.

I hesitantly pulled the trigger on Vicky Christina Barcelona.

Now, I don't really like these artsy films in general. And I know from experience I don't care for Woody Allen movies (Matchpoint? kill me.). But for some reason I was intrigued. Although it was off to a slow start I really got into it! It was full of pretty people and pretty places and essentially was like a thinking-person's rom-com! Smart and satisfying!! Penelope Cruz was great and in my opinion deserving of that Oscar (though I only saw one of her competitors: Marissa Tomei in The Wrestler whose performance I could not fairly judge b/c I hated every moment I was in that theater watching that offensive movie).

Four Stars!

2 comments:

sweetsies said...

I'm usually opposed to all things Scar-Jo, but you have me intrigued, Car.

Carly said...

Let's be clear she is NOT a good actress but she sure is pretty and not toooo annoying in this movie.