Wednesday, March 4, 2009

You've Gotta Play to Win *


A few years back I was working in DC as somewhat of an indentured servant. I worked insane hours for a pittance of a salary and was forced to stick around by the promise of a year end bonus which would enable me to pay the debt I'd accrued during the year just to maintain my lifestyle. This lifestyle consisted of an apartment I could NOT afford and way too many ghetto fabulous nights out (nights of revelry following payday...pretty sure that line is going to bar me from ever holding public office).

I searched for a way out. Yes, I tried the conventional routes of searching for a new job and contemplating a move to the islands. But I knew there was something else, a promise of something more. Powerball.

I passed my time thinking of how I would spend my riches, what car I would have, who I would give a million to, where I would go on vacation. I realize these are not uncommon fantasies but I checked hotel rates and availability. I was committed. I signed up for the Powerball emails. Just the promise of a multi-million dollar windfall and the happiness it would bring seemed almost enough...and the chance that maybe next time they would be MY numbers.

In the last two days, 2 separate winning tickets for millions and millions of the rich stuff have been sold outside of Philadelphia. Makes me think it's time to get back in the game....

* The original post failed to acknowledge my Powerball teammate Chrissie Walsh. Ms. Walsh has been referenced in other posts but was regretfully ommitted from this one. Please let the record reflect that she not only purchased tickets and agreed to share her winnings, she also helped me research plastic surgeons and was going to be my roommate at the Four Seasons during recovery from our lotto-financed Extreme Makeover. My apologies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really thought I was going to win last night. But more importantly it felt good to be back in the game. I still have my dreams of owning a Cal Tort franchise...Powerball please make it happen! And I will serve White Zin at my Cal Tort!

Walsh