Monday, July 7, 2008

I Can't Believe I Did It.


I cheered Rafael Nadal all the way to a Wimbledon Victory. It took me nearly 7 hours but I did it. My throat was hoarse and my head hurt from the sound of my own shrieking voice, but he won and it was all worth it. I screamed "vamos" and threw fist pumps in the living room more times than I am comfortable admitting. My roommate even helped out with shouts of "bailamos" or "let's dance".

Reading the papers this morning people have called the greatest match in Wimbledon history, a classic. For me it was just magic, watching that little monkey scurry, leap, swing, and scream for 5 hours across that court.

Normally, I always feel badly for the losing team, to the point where it measurably detracts from my joy for the winning team. I think about how much it must stink to go home that night and how crabby and unpleasant they must be the next day. I read this quote from Federererererer "Probably my hardest loss, by far; I mean it’s not much harder than this right now...I’m disappointed, and I’m crushed...This is a disaster. Paris was nothing in comparison". I felt nothing but sheer joy that those words were coming out of RF's mouth and not Rafa's. This victory has really changed me. VAMOS!!!

No comments: