Thursday, July 24, 2008

Mad Men and Mad Cool


Unaware that the series is available On Demand, I filled up my Netflix queue with the first season of the AMC series Mad Men. Even if you had never heard of or seen this show in the last year, you have undoubtedly been hit with the recent deluge of praise being lavished on it everywhere. The style! the characters! The accuracy! Everyone it seems thinks this show is great. I hate missing out on stuff like that, so with no delay, I started watching last night. I made it through the first two episodes (which right there says a lot) and it is good. Not glued to the television like The Wire good, but still really good.

The overt sexism, racism, anti-semitism, adultery, smoking, and day drinking make it a real pleasure to watch. The working world before PC entered the lexicon and HR manuals everywhere. I can't claim to love going to work everyday but at least sexist comments are, for the most part, made behind closed doors.

In my continuing quest to discover emerging blog talent I bring to you If You Got It, Flaunt It
very smart and funny, and the author throws around words like "mad" and "hype" which I really like and would do on this blog if I wouldn't seem like a supreme d-bag for doing so. The blogger also knows how to do cool techie stuff like putting captions under pictures and placing pictures in locations other than the top let hand corner. It's pretty dope.

4 comments:

Camille said...

Oh Carly! Thanks for the shout out! You are officially at the TOP of my blog roll call! You called me a talent (thanks for lying) and I didn't realize I use mad and hype a lot, but if you like it, I will now over-use those adjectives. And for the record, if you use those words (mad & hype), it would just show how gangsta you really are (G-town represent')!

Ross Gibson said...

As an ode to Peter Campbell and Don Draper, I am going to use the word "swell" a lot just to prove to you how cool I am - and I won't sound like a total loser. Take that, Camille!

Camille said...

Swell is a great word! It's a peachy-cream word. I encourage everyone to use it in their day-to-day conversations more! Mad Men might bring the '60s back in ways we never imagined!

kjd said...

I freaking hate Pete Campbell.

Also watched the entire first season in 3 days. Love it.