Monday, June 23, 2008

Let Me Call You on My Land Line


Today’s post comes after a very insightful question posed by one of my American readers: What makes me more mature getting a house phone or getting engaged? Tough call in my opinion. Sure the engaged thing certainly sends signals about commitment and “settling down”. But a land line? That’s a real step!

Since college and my long distance PIN, I have relied exclusively on cell phones for communication. I am sure the decision had as much to do with cost as anything else. Upon graduation I was certainly in no financial position to be paying for redundant technologies. I probably would have also told people that I didn’t need a house phone anyways, I’m like never home. “work is crazy” “I went out 6 nights this week!” Home was a place for sleeping, not casual chats on the phone.

I, too, have recently taken the land line plunge. My move came under duress as those monopolistic bastards at Comcast practically shove the “Triple Play” down your throat. But I do like it. In theory I can buzz people in from downstairs, which is awesome. Perhaps I’ll even start using it for non-transactional phone calls. As I have grown more matur,e I have found myself with a much lower tolerance for the walkie-talkie like pace of cell phone conversations. And have grown increasingly annoyed by having conversations where the other person is shopping, driving, walking dog. I can sense their distraction. The land line really could be the answer!

Fras, blow me up on my house line later!! (I’ll send you the number in another letter, my Mexican readers would never stop calling…oh and I have to ask my roommate for it b/c I don’t know it)

3 comments:

Ross Gibson said...

No land line = No TiVo.

Unknown said...

Whoa! Hold on a second here...you're ENGAGED? See, this is why I am anti-blog. What is the world coming to when I have to find out over the Internets that my Kitten is engaged?

Carly said...

kitten, i am not engaged. Fraser is though!! yay Fraser! a home phone and a fiance all in the same summer!!