Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Worthy Goal

For a few weeks now I have been reading a blog on the New York times website called "The Climb". It's this guy chronicling his transformation from average joe weekend cyclist dude to "i rode a mountain stage of the Tour de France" dude....in about a month. Initial posts from readers on the blog ranged from cautiously supportive to pleas for him to consider how much he valued living before attempting such a ridiculous feat. The author details his training plan, nutrition, gear etc. Cycling is a topic in which I have some interest but that alone does not explain my fixation with this blog. I think it is more about the idea of committing to a challenge so immense that has forced me to read every post.

Which brings me to my next point and an explanation for the photo of a shoe next to a post about cycling. I want these shoes. I really, really want them. Though I am conflicted as to whether I would like myself more or less if I had them (more b/c I would obviously be more attractive and more people would like me ...less b/c it would signal utter fiscal stupidity and put me in danger of homelessness). To make them seem more reasonable I decided maybe I could set a goal for myself and the get them as a reward for accomplishing said goal. I don't think the Tour de France thing is going to happen, but it has gotten me thinking.....

2 comments:

jdlisko said...

If you were hoping this post would get some attention, consider it done. I think this is a silly thing to want. It has no cord. Or fur.

Briebolger said...

what kind of cord is the roommate talking about?