Thursday, June 26, 2008

Update


My tennis lessons have continued, and I think most would consider my progress to be "slow but steady". It seems that each area of my game that I improve, reveals another area in need of even more attention. My forehand improvements seem to come directly at the expense of my backhand.

One thing that has surely suffered in this process is my temper. I fear I may need to take a class in remedial tennis etiquette. I have yet to throw a racquet, but I think it is still probably frowned upon to call your opponent a "stupid mother fucker" when he hits a shot you can't get to. My outbursts are made worse given that my practice court is at a school where kids and families are usually hanging out sharing quality summer time together.

Things get really bad when my coach starts cackling at and counting the consecutive shots I miss. The scene quickly resembles what it would look like if Quentin Tarantino made a movie about tennis...with dialog to match.

The lesson ended on a high note and I am undeterred in my pursuit of tennis greatness.

No comments: